By: Kathy Kane
When you join a group for business, it should not be decision taken lightly. Too often many companies join and then never attend a meeting or networking event…ever. Some may join just to get in the Association listing or a web site link. But if you are paying for membership anywhere, you should have a plan to make it worth your investment dollars!
Every group I am active with has an engagement plan. What am I doing with the group monthly, weekly and yearly to participate, refer other members, sponsor or support an event and of course actively promote their events and news along with my own social media. Here is a sample media checklist to consider for each group that you belong to:
As an active member, it is up to you to make sure that you check on these things after you join and yearly:
- Are listed properly on the web site with a link to your business site?
- Are you on their email list? Are all of your employees?
- Do you have a monthly schedule of the group’s events and have you added them to your calendar?
- Have you joined their Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin groups?
- Have you found ways to share your business information every week or month? This would be through social media, e-newsletters e-blasts, ect.
- Have you reached out to other group members? Through lunch and learns, social media, ect.
- Do you share other group member’s promotions and events? With your social media, or with your clients?
Help Your ASSOCIATION and help your business! If you do these social media posts consistently, you will see how your business can grow with your membership.
Social Media- Are you on Facebook, Twitter or Linkedin?
__ Then Log on and “Like or Follow” the ASSOCIATION! There may be a Facebook page and a Facebook Group. Find the user name for Twitter and find the company or group on Linkedin and “like” it.
Then for Facebook, whenever you can:
__ Join an upcoming event, then Share an ASSOCIATION event
__Share, Comment or Like an ASSOCIATION post on your timeline or with a page/group you manage
__Post your Business page link on their page or group
__Post a business special on their page or group
__Check in at any ASSOCIATION event, meeting or program
__Check in with any ASSOCIATION member page
__Take an ASSOCIATION selfie and post, Take pictures or video at any event and post to page, tag photos @ASSOCIATION
__Post a review or a status update of why you like the ASSOCIATION
Then for Linkedin whenever you can:
__Post on the Linkedin group or business page about why you are attending an upcoming event
__Share an ASSOCIATION event on your profile
Then for Twitter whenever you can:
__Tweet about the ASSOCIATION or an upcoming event
__Retweet an ASSOCIATION tweet
__Post an ASSOCIATION picture
__If you want to forward the ASSOCIATION emails to employees or associates, simply scroll to the very bottom of the email and click FORWARD the email and you can help spread the ASSOCIATION news!